Saturday, June 14, 2014

Rough Guide to Packing


What to pack when coming to Japan is often the biggest concern for incoming JETs. Luckily there are already a number of incredible guides written by former JETs on the internet, like this one written by the staff of the Miami Japanese Consulate.

And this is also a good resource for packing questions:

Let me add to this information by telling you about the things I'm glad I brought and the things I'm glad I left behind.

5 Things I'm Happy I Brought

1) My laptop computer. Some people buy a new computer when they get to Japan, but I'm really happy I saved myself the hassle and brought one from home.

2) Deodorant and Sunscreen. Even though it is possible to get it here in Japan, having a large supply of these from the start was nice. As for other products like toothpaste, shampoo and so on, it worked better for me to bring a small traveler's-sized amount and then get it in the stores here. Unless you're attached to a certain product, I'd say bring a little and then find new products when you get here. Note: People who have medications or other health requirements should make the appropriate arrangements to have the supplies they need.

3) Pictures, tourist pamphlets and a large map of my country. I've used these materials in just about every self-introduction I've ever given. It was also nice to bring some sentimental things from home which could lift me up on a bad day.

4) Random Presents. Without even knowing who I would give them to I brought a bunch of little souvenirs and small gifts (like a Rubik's Cube, for example). When I met certain people that I knew would be important in my new life here it was nice to have these presents on hand to give away.

5) A nice waterproof windbreaker and primaloft jacket for hiking. There are so many opportunities to hike in Yamagata. Plus the windbreaker was great for the rainy season, while the primaloft jacket was great for winter even though it was incredibly lightweight.

5 Things I'm Happy I Didn't Bring

1) My guitar. Plenty of guitar shops here in Yamagata and in neighboring cities. In addition to these, there are at least 2 guitar shops that I know in America that will ship to Japan for ridiculously cheap prices.

2) My bike. Some people consider shipping their bike to Japan, but I think it's a waste considering all of the really great bikes that you can buy over here.

3) Books. I like to read but I only brought one book. I've survived because it is easy to find any book I want at the local bookstores or online.

4) Too many clothes. With the exception of business attire, and perhaps a weeks worth of outfits, it was way more fun for me to go to the store and basically get myself a new wardrobe when I got here. On the other hand, I was happy that I brought my indoor shoes (the shoes that you will use everyday at work when you enter the building). It was nice not to have to mess around with shoe sizes and whatnot when I got here. Note: please search google about Japanese sizes and getting shoes and clothing in Japan if you are at all concerned about not finding your size here.

5) Business Cards. I eventually made a business card, which is really useful for meeting new people, but it was nice to get a little established before worrying about this. You can make business cards here in Yamagata or you can easily purchase them from companies that ship overseas.

To wrap up, I'd say that less-is-more. As long as you have the basic necessities as far as health and beauty products, clothes and business attire. It is possible to get anything you need online, shipped from home or from the local stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment